The message was loud and clear on Sunday, November 17th: Jesus is the light of the world and He expects us individually and as a church to join in and BE that light with Him. As our church searches for ways to shine Christ’s light in the community, words like evangelism and outreach can be a bit intimidating. Visions of knocking on doors come to mind. But, on Tuesday mornings a needy population comes right to OUR door. The Sherman Park Food Pantry, with our church’s help, gives them bags of food; our church has the opportunity to give them even more. Here are some easy ways we can shine the light and love of Christ for these people this month:
- Bring new or lightly used toys, games, jewelry, hats or anything that would make a nice Christmas gift. (If we get enough items by early December, we’ll put them out on Tuesday’s for people to choose from, as we have for the last 3 years). The clients enjoy finding gifts for family.
- Bring toiletry items such as soap, shampoo, toothbrushes and toothpaste.
- Bring cans of food and/or donate money on Food Pantry Sundays.
- Bring greeting cards for our card rack.
- Bring books for our Little Free Library (and people are asking for Bibles).
- Come to church and pray. The written prayer requests of the Food Pantry clients are included in our Sunday morning congregational prayers, as well as in those of the Tuesday Bible Study.
Remember the song, “This Little Light of Mine”. Little things mean a lot. How will you share the Light of Jesus with someone this year?